The importance of the loading speed of your website is clear for the user experience and should be an obvious priority for any web site owner as nobody wants to wait ages for a website to load, loading speed issues can result in huge customer losses.
Web site speed isn’t only important for customers of your website but also for SEO. Recent research has shown that:
- 40% of people will abandon a webpage if it takes more than three seconds to load.
- 47% of people expect a webpage to load within two seconds or less.
- 52% of people claim that quick webpage loads are important for their loyalty to a website.
- 24% of people will back up immediately and go to another website if your websites load speed is slow.
- 88% of people who are dissatisfied with their website visit will go somewhere else next time.
- A one second delay can cost you 7% in sales.
What About The Search Engines?
Site speed doesn’t just have a negative effect on the user experience but will also result in penalisation by Google meaning lower rankings.
Site speed has been a ranking factor in Google’s algorithm since 2010, with Google stating:
“At Google, we’re striving to make the whole web fast. As part of that effort, we’re launching a new web-based tool in Google Labs, Page Speed Online, which analyzes the performance of web pages and gives specific suggestions for making them faster. Page Speed Online is available from any browser, at any time. This allows website owners to get immediate access to Page Speed performance suggestions so they can make their pages faster.”
Making sure you web site is developed with optimal images, quality un-bloated code and run on fast reliable servers really helps your site performance in search engines and more importantly the user experience when using your web site.